Thursday, October 18, 2007

On "天行健 君子以自强不息": My negative thoughts have been evaporating

"Kunming view,"
Uploaded on February 19, 2005
by Philou.cn on flickr

Tim has got it together. -gw

I got a Chinese name in the summer, it's 天行, pronounced tyen (high tone) hsing (rising tone). The Chinese volunteers chose it for me: it literally means something like "walk in the sky", though it also refers to a saying by Confucius "天行健 君子以自强不息", apparently meaning that "as heaven keeps active and vigorous, so a gentleman makes unremitting efforts to improve himself". ...

Probably the biggest influence on my life here though is that I've been reading a lot of Baha'i books, and hence my negative thoughts have been gradually evaporating and being replaced by an inner altruism that grows by the day, which is nice.

posted by ChinaChinaChina
http://freefreeman.nomadlife.org/2007/10/kunming.html
+

No comments: