Friday, August 10, 2007

On Israel as a Spiritual Place: I went to Mass more times in one week that I have in my life

"Baha'i Gardens in Haifa, some of the most amazing I've ever seen" - Caroline

Caroline visited Israel while in the Middle East and provides wonderful detail in her text and photos. -gw

It's impossible to not be moved by the sprituality in this country. It means so much to so many people and so much of its identity is wrapped up in symbols and manifestations of God, Yahweh, Allah, Gaia, etc,. representatives of religions that have crafted so much of our world. It ceases to be about simple land and economic benefit, though there's certainly an aspect of that, but my first experience of this country was like being hit over the head and heart with a spiritual hammer. Maybe bludgeoned. There were times when my practical sense dominated and I saw buildings, churches, as simply pretty man-made constructions, but then there were other times when I could feel what the building was retaining within its walls, the intent behind its construction. I know, I sound crazy. But it was a crazy experience. This could all have something to do with the fact that I went to Mass more times in this one week then I have in maybe my entire life.
+
Caroline, "Israel, the Land of a Thousand Faces," Jordan 2007
+
{Re-posted with permission}

No comments: