Friday, July 21, 2006

On Backbiting: Guidance from the Quran


"Backbiting" by Lacey Graves Gerard: graphic designer, Baha'i, wife, painter, consumer of coffee, lover of type and photography. Lives in Chicago, but mentally sometimes Tennessee and Georgia

peaceful core observes that "America thrives on backbiting" and looks to the Quran for inspiration in breaking her of the habit.

this journey of faith
[Jul. 18th, 200606:41 pm]

Tags: backbiting, bad habits, baha'i, quran

Current Mood: thoughtful

Current Music: Obiero by Ayub Ogada

It has been two years since I discovered the Baha'i Faith. And in the past journey in my new faith and the present, I would pick something I had to struggle with to bring myself closer to God and to follow Baha'u'llah's teachings more adequately. I remember the first was getting in the habit of praying every day the prescribed prayers and reading twice a day from holy scriptures. I would like to say I have accomplished that but, every once in awhile I will come home from a busy day or often a day of airport traveling and not do so. I have set forth other personal challenges over the 2 years as well. But, I must say the latest one is a hard, hard habit to break...........Backbiting. American culture thrives on backbiting. And most of the time I don't even realize what I am saying. Sometimes I do realize it and stop myself. Sometimes, sadly I realize it and continue. But I am honestly working on it. And hopefully little by little I will cease this bad habit.

I am almost done with reading the Quran, I set out to read a sura a night. And today I came across.

"Do not spy on one another or speak ill of people behind their backs; would any of you like to eat the flesh of your dead brother? No, you would hate it. So be mindful of God; God is ever relenting, most merciful" 49:12

and also

"Believers, no one group of men should jeer at another, who may after all be better than them; no one group of women should jeer at another, who may after all be better than them; do not speak ill of one another; do not use offensive nicknames for one another. How bad it is to be called a mischief-maker after accepting faith! Those who do not repent of this behaviour are evildoers." 49:11

All I can do is pray on it and make an effort everyday.
Much love to all.

peacefulecore, "this journey of faith," LiveJournal

No comments: