Wednesday, June 19, 2013

On Bearing Witness To Our Powerlessness: Simillarities between 12-step programs and Baha'i


"Thou Art the Mighty and Powerful"
+
This post, excerpted below, explores the similarities in the spirituality of the 12-Step Program and the Baha'i Faith. -gw
As a twelve-stepper myself, I’ve found many similarities between the Baha’i Faith and twelve-step programs. For example, both encourage spiritual growth through self-knowledge, and both have what I would call an open-ended understanding of God. Twelve-step meetings welcome people of all faiths, rely on the program’s literature for guidance, and encourage members to find a Higher Power they can turn to for help. 
Baha’is also welcome members of all religions (or no religion at all) to meetings, and the Baha’i Writings refer to God as an “unknowable essence” Who loves us and provides us with guidance through sacred Scripture. The First Step of Alcoholics Anonymous states that, “We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable.” Similarly, Baha’is admit powerlessness each day with a short prayer ...  
I bear witness, O my God, that Thou has created me to know Thee and to worship Thee. I testify, at this moment, to my powerlessness and to Thy might, to my poverty and to Thy wealth… – Baha’i Prayers, p. 133.
http://bahaiteachings.org/calling-all-12-steppers

No comments: