Wednesday, December 05, 2012

On the Bitterness of Disappointment: Merged with the sweetness of the present hour


To the jetty

To the jetty

In 1788, while in search of the Columbia River, English Captain John Meares missed the passage over the river bar and named the nearby headland Cape Disappointment for his failure in finding the river. In 1792, American Captain Robert Gray successfully crossed the river bar and named the river "Columbia" after his ship, the Columbia Rediviva. Only a few years later, in 1805, the Lewis and Clark Expedition arrived at Cape Disappointment.

The Cape Disappointment Lighthouse was constructed in 1856 to warn seamen of the treacherous river bar known by then as "the graveyard of the Pacific." This is the oldest functioning lighthouse on the West Coast.
+
Interpretation and history at cape disappointment

Bonita, Taraz, Rahmat and I arrived at Cape Disappointment over the Thanksgiving holiday break, but we did not go away disappointed. We were feted with views of the ocean's expanse. -gw

To the jetty



Now that happily I feel myself restored to a position where I can take up with continuity and vigour the threads of my manifold duties, the bitterness of every disappointment felt, time and again, in the course of the past weary months at my feeling of unpreparedness, have been merged in the sweetness of the present hour, when I realise that spiritually and bodily I am better equipped to shoulder the responsibilities of the Cause. 


To the jetty

To the jetty

No comments: