Friday, December 31, 2010

On Immigration: Tell the rich of the midnight sighing of the poor, lest heedlessness lead them into the path of destruction

 
Immigration is a controversial issue in so many parts of the world. In the U.S., certainly. But in many other places in the world, too. In the last several days I listened on radio to a program on the controversy in Malta.as part of a series on Nomadic Migration and Skin color on PRI's The World. Other' in the series:
 
People want to better their lives. People immigrate for economic reasons. And to feel safe. Someone after the devotional meeting on Sunday was saying, the greatest challenges in future years will come from conflict between the rich and poor. The gap between is growing. We know what Baha'u'llah had to say about that.
 
Here is an excerpt from a blog devoted to a man's efforts to immigrate with his family to Canada. Click over to read his entire post. It's a fascinating reflection. -gw
 
> About Me: Born and living in Guayaquil. Married, two children. Baha'i since December 25, 2008. English teacher for the last 7 years. TEFL trainer for the last 2 months.
 
They started washing my filthy car and I was standing there watching them and thinking to myself. I noticed they were getting water from a pipe in an unused house lot and the electricity from the street wires. They were working as fast as they could and doing their best. I started thinking about the things people do to make money. At least, these guys are doing something not criminal or endangering other people's lives.
 
I felt happy they had something to do and get money to eat. I felt happy I didn't and don't have to do this kind of jobs because I am a professional. Not that I could not do this job, it's just that I am making more money and my family feels safe. All of a sudden I thought I may have to do these in Canada. Could people do this in Canada? I mean, can you just go, connect your super pump in someone else's water pipe, hang some wires and get the electricity, and just start washing cars in the street and make a living out of it?
 
Will I end up doing this to provide for my family? How would my kids feel? One thing for sure is I won't let my loved ones just starve, I will do whatever necessary to feed them, anything provided it is legal, of course. I don't want to drift away from God.
 
 
O CHILDREN OF DUST!

Tell the rich of the midnight sighing of the poor, lest heedlessness lead them into the path of destruction, and deprive them of the Tree of Wealth.

Know ye not why We created you all from the same dust? That no one should exalt himself over the other. Ponder at all times in your hearts how ye were created. Since We have created you all from one same substance it is incumbent on you to be even as one soul, to walk with the same feet, eat with the same mouth and dwell in the same land, that from your inmost being, by your deeds and actions, the signs of oneness and the essence of detachment may be made manifest.

– Bahá'u'lláh

http://agencyandchange.com/about-the-blog/

 
 
 

Posted via email from Baha'i Views

No comments: