Wednesday, October 27, 2010

On Whether to Invite the Neighbors: The Baha'i campus club does it for me

 
I was a member of the University of Illinois Baha'i Club from 1966 to 1969. For the first two years I wasn't a Baha'i. Didn't have to be. I was a fixture at the Friday night firesides. Brought refreshments.
 
There are three Baha'is now on campus at the University of Puget Sound, four blocks away from where we live. There are many times more than three who have signed up this year for the Baha'i Club on campus, like last year. You don't have to be a Baha'i to participate in its activities. They did a Book 1 last year.They're studying One Common Faith this year. They're also hosting the Birth of Baha'u'llah Holy Day for our community in November. 
 
There are a lot of students living off campus in our neighborhood, including three living in the house right next door. I've met them all, starting with Jen,  a radiant soul, the first to arrive for the start of the school year back in late August. I've had thoughts that I should tell our new neighbors about our Thursday devotional. Haven't followed up on it though.
 
Tim called me tonight. Tim is a club advisor. He said he mentioned when the club met tonight the Book 1 that we are starting in our home next Wednesday. "It's just off campus at 8th and Washington," he said. One of those interested in attending said, "Hey, I live at 8th and Washington."  Who is it? It's our neighbor Jen. I knew there was something really special about her.
 
There's more. Tim said he suggested to Jen that she come to our devotional tomorrow. She said she would. -gw

Posted via email from Baha'i Views

No comments: