Saturday, April 03, 2010

On Roxanna Saberi on NPR: Locked up with Baha'is she came to admire and love

 
From: T
Subject: Roxanna Saberi on NPR

GWD – Tune in to KPLU to hear Scott Simon interview Roxanna Saberi.  Mentions and praises imprisoned Baha’i women by name.  I’m guessing there is a lot about them in her new book.  Interesting how the official Iranian oppressors put them together! - T

 
I didn't catch the broadcast, but the audio podcast and transcript is up on the NPR website. -gw
 
Journalist Roxana Saberi spent four months in jail after being arrested in Iran. Host Scott Simon talks to Saberi about her new memoir, Between Two Worlds: My Life and Captivity in Iran and about the other prisoners she met while she was there. ...
 

SIMON: You were locked up with a group of people you came to admire and love.

Ms. SABERI: Yes. At first I was in solitary confinement for two weeks and then I was taken out of solitary confinement and put in another cell where there were two women, Mahvash and Fariba - they are two of the seven leaders of the minority Baha'i community. It's thought to be the largest non-Muslim religion in Iran, and they're still are in prison today. When I had first met them, I was surprised; I didnt know how people could've survived so long in one little cell. Mahvash had been in solitary confinement for six months and I had been going crazy after two weeks.

And Fariba had been in solitary confinement for four months and they had not seen their lawyers yet. And from them I learned many lessons of strength. They were pressured to make false confessions about themselves but they wouldnt agree to do it, even though they probably could've been freed that way.

Posted via email from Baha'i Views

No comments: