Friday, March 05, 2010

On How the Media Depicts Women: If I'd seen the ad, would I have bought it?

When Jan Floyd-Douglass decided to buy a new car, she bypassed suitable models from eight different manufacturers – and then wrote to tell them why.

"I love your car but I didn't buy it because I don't like your advertisements because they demean women," wrote Ms. Floyd-Douglass, who is on the board of the Women's National Commission in the United Kingdom.

She told the story during a panel discussion titled "Portrayal or Betrayal: How the Media Depicts Women and Girls" held at the UN offices of the Baha'i International Community. The event was planned in conjunction with the annual session of the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women which began on 1 March.

http://news.bahai.org/story/761


We just bought a new Ford Transit Connect, but I had never seen an ad for it. I saw it on the street, then searched for it online. If I had seen an ad would I have bought it? -gw

transitconnect

Posted via email from Baha'i Views

No comments: