Tuesday, October 13, 2009

On Uniting for Change: Galen blog's from Ethiopia

Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. As can be expected, there are many people on the streets with very little. As a Baha’i I cannot give money to beggars, however I can give food. I hate walking by them, so I’ve begun carrying bread with that I can pass on to anyone who looked like they need it. For some reason I do not get a whole lot of satisfaction out of it, but I now it is a meal that is much needed by them.

http://unitingforchange.ca/galen/2009/10/13/time-flies-and-memories-fade/

Galen  is a Baha'i youth "serving in Ethiopia, the cradle of humanity." His posts and pics are absolutely fascinating. -gw

Today we had the incredible opportunity to attend a junior youth group near Zelalem’s house. We left the Amare’s house with Zelalem headed for another Zelalem’s house. Due to rising prices gas is currently unavailable so we proceeded on foot. As we walked first two girls joined us, then another two male youth. We were forming a small gang. We arrived at Zelalems and were ushered inside. When I say junior youth I mean 12 – 14 years old. Most of these youth looked much older than that. Soon there were eight youth sitting on the couches, the two Zelalems, Dagm (the second Zelalem’s wife), myself, Kyle and Jasmin. Prayer books were handed out and we began with a round of prayers, most of which were said in Amharic. After prayers began the same lively singing that I had experienced at feast, song after song. Soon we were asked to introduce ourselves and talk about what we were doing here. After we spoke the two Zelalem’s would translate into Amharic for the youth to understand. The rest of the afternoon consisted of songs and questions, questions that the youth had for us, and questions that we had for them. Most of them were around 17, and there were a few between 14 and 15. Three years ago they were junior youth, and Zelalem has been unable to change the name. They have all gone through Ruhi books 1 – 3. Zelalem said that today there was at least ten missing, I’m not sure where the other ten would sit.

http://unitingforchange.ca/galen/2009/10/13/ethiopian-youth/

Posted via web from Baha'i Views

1 comment:

Marty said...

Being a Baha'i I also don't give to beggars. My alternative is to give to the local food bank.