Tuesday, October 27, 2009

On Baha'is and Computer Technology: A few names of Baha'is at the forefront of the computer revolution

Thanks to Robert of the Northwest Baha'i Library for this intriguing short list of Baha'is at the forefront of their profession. -gw
 
Bill Fernandez
Mention of the Baha'i Faith by co-founder Steve Wozniak co-Founder of Apple
http://www.woz.org/letters/general/71.html
E-mail to Wozniak:
I am a devoted mac user and as long as Apple makes it, I will loyaly use it. I love the fact that a man of your stature in the computer world makes himself so available to general public. I am delighted to find out that you are such a down to earth person. Having read your responses to most letter, I must say that your beliefs closely mirror mine. I am a Bahai, that is my religion. Have you ever heard of the Bahai Faith or have any familiarity with it?
Woz:
Yes. Our third Apple employee (badge number 4, but he was hired before number 3), Bill Fernandez, has been a Bahai since high school. Bill was my technician at Hewlett Packard (I'd helped get him in there) before we started Apple. Bill lived a few houses down from me on the same street, and is the one that built the "Cream Soda" computer with me, not Steve Jobs as portrayed in "Pirates of Silicon Valley." Bill is also the person that introduced Steve and myself. Bill has also helped in my current computer class, teaching 3D drawing. So I know something of the Baha'i Faith and I appreciate it but I won't get into that."
________________
Bruce Rothaar
Bruce and two other engineers, Robert B. Ingebretsen and Prof. Thomas Stockham of the University of Utah invented technology that translated analog sound into a digital format -- a discovery that eventually led to the development of compact discs.
_______________
Laurence G. Lundblade
Pioneered PINE  a widely used email program with Mike Seibel at the University of Washington.

Posted via email from Baha'i Views

No comments: