Monday, January 07, 2008

On the Extremes of Wealth and Poverty: Why do I have the life that I do?

"Tijuana Border," Uploaded on May 20, 2006 by DennisSylvesterHurd on flickr,
luakabua takes a trip across the border and comes away with these thoughts. -gw
+
The van began to move as the line to get back to the US progressed. He continued to stand there, looking straight through the windows as they slowly passed him by. I cant imagine what life would be like if that was your daily struggle. I complain about the smallest things, tummy aches, my brother annoying me, someone eating my last ice cream sandwich in the freezer. I also wonder how i have the life that i do, why is it me that has my life over the people on the side of the street? How am i chosen to live the life that i live instead of someone else. One thing i want to change in my life is helping the poor. In the Baha'i Faith it talks so much about giving to the poor. Abdul-Baha offering the robe off his back to someone less fortunate. I want to incorporate that aspect of service into my life somehow.

No comments: