Friday, December 07, 2007

On Baha'i Prayers for the Funeral: Deb says someone owes her, takes it back, and asks for forgiveness

Lord! I bear witness that in Thy servant Thou hast reposed Thy Trust,
and that is the Spirit wherewith Thou hast given life to the world.
(Baha'i Prayers, p. 42)

Uploaded on January 16, 2006 by ryran on flickr
+
Good story here. - gw
+

Subject: Funeral>>> Friends -> > The lady called about her daughter's funeral. Here's what she said,> as far as I could get it.> > Her name is "Jus." > Her deceased daughter's name is Immecula .> > The funeral will be:> > December 7> 10:00am> Piper Morely Funeral Home> She would like us to read a prayer and / or some scriptural selection.> She said we should take 5 or 10 minutes on the program.> > I said we would call her back to confirm.> > - Tim

Subject: RE: Funeral>>> Are any of you available to go on a Friday? If not, we might suggest> someone who isn't working right now like perhaps Kristina. >> - Lori

Subject: RE: Funeral>>> That's a good idea I 'll be in Olympia....Kristina is a great choice> if she will> > BJ

Subject: RE: Funeral>>> It would be nice to have Kristina do this if she is available.> > Deb

Subject: RE: Funeral> Importance: High>>> I don't know who was supposed to ask Kristina but if it was me--I> FORGOT!! I walked over to her house tonight but it's dark so I think> they are in bed. I spoke with her earlier tonight about Bahereh (baby> boy--Nabil!!), and Kristina said that she has an appointment in the> morning (we were seeing if she could drive Bahereh to the doctor).> > Anyway--I hope hope hope that you can go Debbie! Please call me at> work if you can't! > > Lori

Hi all -> > So Lori calls me at 8:45am... Anyway, after saying that someone OWED> me for this one, I take it all back, forgive me Baha'u'llah!!> > I was able to go and it was a great privilege to be able to serve in> this way. Our Baha'i friend (I will have to get the program from the> service to see how her name is spelled - you won't believe it!),> "Gotlam" I will call her, is a dear dear soul originally from Haiti> who became a Baha'i in NY in the mid '90s (I think she found out about> it in the '80s). I was able to speak to her and her nephew briefly> before the funeral started. Her daughter (the deceased) was only 21,> and died after an illness (didn't find out what). She is survived by> her husband (who is in the military and has been to Iraq - the one on> the phone I> think) and a young daughter, probably only a year or so old. It was> so touching, and the service was done by some Pentacostal> African-American folks (lady preacher) who were very nice. The> daughter and family was active in that church. The husband ... allowed that I could say a prayer as long as I kept it> to 3 minutes. I read the "sweet scented streams" which Lori suggested> and I agreed was a good choice. I wish I had read something short> from the Writings about life after death, as it was so in keeping with> what the other folks were sharing, but wasn't prepared and didn't want to go over my 3 minutes.> > Anyway, there's a little more to tell, but for now let me say it was a> very moving and confirming experience, and it was just what I needed> to start our intensive phase. I was able to talk with Gotlam> afterwards and we hugged and cried (me doing most of the crying - oh,> those water works!). She said she would tell her Baha'i friends in> Germany (especially those close to her daughter) about us, and said> she would not forget me and I said I would not forget her! I> encouraged her to contact us if she is in town again visiting her> granddaughter. I would have invited her to George's on Sunday, but> she is leaving tonight (she lives in Arizona, but I guess is not home> much and goes back to her "home" community in Germany sometimes).> > So thanks for forgetting Lori!> > Much love,> Deb> > PS And thanks for sharing about Nabil!!

Subject: RE: Funeral Deb, nothing by chance. You were the perfect person to do this. Thank you, thank you, thank you. You made a mother's heart and a daughter's soul soar...The comfort you brought to the family is palpable to me just from reading your message. Love you much, Lori

Thanks Lori. Let's remember them in our prayers. I will send the names later, and I think there is a web guestbook to go to and I think I will do that. Isn't it amazing how we can make such an instant heart connection with our Baha'i sisters and brothers? Love y'all too, Deb

Subject: RE: Funeral Can I blog this story, Deb? - G

sure but you really should get all the other details... like the scripture readings (Who is the King of Glory?) and a few other tidbits. When I was writing this, I was thinking, I should have a blog! But I would spend way too much time on it, I know. I am so slow... - D

{Photo licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.0 Generic}

No comments: