Wednesday, November 14, 2007

On Baha'u'llah and the Kebab: It has been some time that I have not partaken of meat

"The persian way," Uploaded on June 18, 2007 by Sorosh on flickr
On of my new Friends on Facebook, Justin, has joined the Vegetarian Baha'is group. Going over to the group, I noted on the Wall of the site Wendi's comment regarding a passage in her husband Moojan's new book Baha'u'llah: A Short Biography (One World Publisher) indicating that Baha'u'llah was basically a vegetarian, with the exception of an occasional kebab, if this story is any indication. -gw

'When it came time to eat, a portion of the food was taken to Baha'u'llah and it was said to him: "This is what Zayn has cooked." He replied: "Although it has been some time that I have not partaken of meat, because Zayn has put himself to a lot of trouble, I will take a small portion to eat." ['cited from Zayn, Khátirát, vol. 1, pp. 146-8]

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2212936051&ref=nf

No comments: