Sunday, July 01, 2007

On Temple of Light, Vol. 1: A First-Class Baha'i Music Compilation

I am a late-to-technological-innovation kind of guy. That means, no Apple iPhone for me today, tomorrow, next week, next month, or probably even next year. I usually wait for electronics to show up at my local Pawn-X pawnshop, if I'm going to buy.

Not true for the Apple Ipod, which came to me as a gift from my children. I am glorying in the Shuffle Songs setting.

Funny thing, I've decided the only songs I'm going to listen to on my Ipod are "spiritual" songs. For me spiritual is very broadly defined, BTW. As far as I am concerned, "Soul Food to Go" by the Manhattan Transfer is a spiritual song, no two ways about it.

Yet I have also loaded my Ipod with songs by Baha'is, not only from my small-ish CD collection by Baha'i artists, but Baha'i songs and prayers I have downloaded from DivineNotes.com, a source for downloadable, Baha'i-inspired music. -gw

DivineNotes.com has several key goals, including:
- Making Bahá'í-inspired music more accessible by providing a mechanism to find music which cannot be found in local Bahá'í retail outlets.
- Making Bahá'í-inspired music available at competitive prices.
- Encouraging dynamic growth of independent recording efforts amongst Bahá'í artists.


I downloaded the entire Temple of Light, Vol. 1, and have nothing but praise for the beauty of the selections and the quality of the production. -gw


More than 100 artists from all around the globe have united their voices in this compilation of 22 songs that will uplift the spirit, exhilarate the soul, and in the heart of the Andes, help raise a temple that will shine its light forever!

1. Ray Of Light
PERFORMED BY CHRISTOPHER FAIZI
Words from the writings of Bahá’u’llah, Music by Christopher Faizi
Mixed by Sebastian Jacome
2. Mi Lámpara
PERFORMED BY LEONOR DELY & MILLERO CONGO
Words from the writings of Bahá’u’llah, Music by Leonor Dely
(From the CD Talismán)
3. At The Top Of My Lungs
PERFORMED BY DEVON GUNDRY
Words from the Bahá’í writings, Music by Devon Gundry
(From the CD At The Top Of My Lungs)
4. Darigha
PERFORMED BY BEHZAD
Written by Behzad
(From the CD Hamsar)
5. Keep On Workin’
PERFORMED BY ERIC DOZIER & ONE HUMAN FAMILY
Written and Arranged by Eric T. Dozier
(From the CD My Prayer...My Praise)
6. Mashriqu’l-Adkar
PERFORMED BY GRANT HINDIN MILLER
Written by Grant Hindin Miller
(From the CD River of Light)
7. Oh Son Of Man #2
PERFORMED BY CALLING WAITING SEARCHING
Words from the writings of Bahá’u’lláh, Music by L. McPharlin
(From the CD Return)
8. Firmeza
PERFORMED BY KC PORTER
Words from the prayers of Bahá’u’llah, Music by KC Porter
Mixed by Sebastian Jacome
9. Carry Me Home
PERFORMED BY ED VANDENDOOL
Written by Ed VandenDool
(From the CD Counting Waves)
10. Gimme One World
PERFORMED BY KISKADEE
Written by Kiskadee
(From the CD Don’t Look Back)
11. Seven
PERFORMED BY MATTHEW LEVINE
Written by Matthew Levine
(From the CD A House Divided)
12. Bahía
PERFORMED BY TARA ELLIS AND JAMEY HEATH
Written by Tara Ellis and Jamey Heath
Produced by Jamey Heath for OPOPP Productions
13. Ay Bih Sar-i-zulf-i-to Suday-i-man
PERFORMED BY AHDIEH
Words by Sulayman Khan-i-Tabrizi, Music by Ahdieh
Arrangement by Husayn Pakravan
(From the CD The Mountain of God)
14. He Maketh Victorious
PERFORMED BY ERIC DOZIER & JB ECKL
Words from the writings of the Báb, Music by JB Eckl
(From the CD 'Badasht Vol. 1 - While the City Sleeps')
15. Alláh-u-Abhá
PERFORMED BY THE BAHA'I CHORALE
Written and arranged by Russ García
Produced by Jack Lenz & Tom Price
(From the CD Songs of the Ancient Beauty)
16. Bird & Tree
PERFORMED BY KAMAL SIEGEL
Written by Kamal Siegel and Mariya Lincoln
Produced and engineered by Javier Duhart
(From the CD First Steps on Faro Producciones
www.faroproducciones.cl)
17. See My Face
PERFORMED BY AVA
Written by Mark Masri & Stephan Moccio
(From the CD Turning Point)
18. Masnavi
PERFORMED BY AMIR HAGHIGHI
Written by Amir Haghighi
19. Houses Of Worship
PERFORMED BY WALTER HEATH
Written by Walter Heath
Recorded and mixed by Sebastian Jacome
20. Rosebud
PERFORMED BY EMMA LAYLI
Written by Emma Laylí and KC Porter
21. O Que O Senhor Ordenou
PERFORMED BY BAHA’I YOUTH OF BAHIA
Words from the writings of Bahá’u’llah, Music by Bahá'í Youth of
Bahía (From the CD Ilu Bahá)
22. Out Of The Wastes Of Nothingness
PERFORMED BY BOB ALCIVAR
Written by Bob Alcivar
(From the CD Ladder To The Soul)

No comments: