Sunday, July 01, 2007

On Avoiding Traumatic Stress: What Children Need

Sunday to Sunday. Another gap in my posts, thanks primarily to a training I attended that took me away from my usual routines, including my time at the computer. (My son said, "Get a laptop, Dad." Wouldn'ta helped, Son. No time, no time.)


The training was on PCIT: Parent-Child Interaction Therapy, an evidence-based treatment for families. PCIT intends to improve the quality of parent-child relationships through, in part, teaching parents to use the P-R-I-D-E skills: praise, reflection, imitation, description, and enthusiasm. I took the training at the Harborview Medical Center for Sexual Assault & Traumatic Stress.

The training reminded me, as much of my work does, about what kids ideally need for their growth and development. It also brought to mind the importance of protecting children from traumatic stress and how Baha'i children are sometimes treated in Iran, not by their parents, but by their teachers in school. -gw

Baha'i students in primary and secondary schools throughout Iran are increasingly being harassed, vilified, and held up to abuse, according to recent reports from inside the country.

During a 30-day period from mid-January to mid-February, some 150 incidents of insults, mistreatment, and even physical violence by school authorities against Baha'i students were reported as occurring in at least 10 Iranian cities.
+

No comments: