Thursday, May 31, 2007

On Truths of the Day: Just because I follow one set of beliefs doesn't mean that the beliefs of another person are less sacred to them

The Baha'i House of Worship in Wilmette, Illinois, never fails to teach. -gw

We enjoyed lunch together at Chipotle, after which the ... guys went with me to buy a pair of hiking shoes. Once I was freshly shod, we were off to the Baha'i Temple in Wilmette. We only had to go a couple stops North on the "L", walk a couple blocks, and we were there. Standing in front of that building was an awe-inspiring experience. People who practice the Baha'i faith believe that all prophets (examples of people they include among prophets include: Jesus, Moses, Zoroaster, Buddha, Mohammad, etc.) bring us closer to understanding God. The buildings they construct are meant to inspire unity among all people. I can't see myself converting, but I love love love how the Baha'i faith doesn't devalue the primary figures in other religions. Just because I follow one set of beliefs doesn't mean that the beliefs of another person are less sacred to them.
+
Friday night we went to the Intervarsity fellowship Dave and Steve belong to. That was definitely a nostalgic experience. Watching them set up the auditorium and jam for a couple hours made we think about my time with Cornell's Intervarsity fellowship. Good times.
+
+
{Re-posted with permission}
+
Photo: Tags - "intervarsity, urbana, 2006," Uploaded on March 29, 2007 by calivcf on flickr

No comments: