Friday, February 09, 2007

On Creating Alternative Futures: The new TA is delighted

Immediately below is how the Baha'i Chair for World Peace is described on its website at http://www.bahaipeacechair.org/


The Bahá’í Chair for World Peace at the University of Maryland is an academic institution dedicated to developing and applying material and spiritual knowledge in cooperative pursuits of global peace, social and economic justice, and human security.
On her LiveJournal blog DaliaBloom describes her delight in being asked to be a teaching assistant for one of the courses being taught by Dr Grayzel, the Baha'i Chair for World Peace, at her school. For a recent story about Dr Grayzel's presentation at the Orlando Baha'i SED conference go here. -gw

HONR299A Creating Alternative Futures (Teaching Assistant). Best for last baby. While I was in France last spring I realized, after analyzing a particular aspect of my speech, that I wasn't thinking far enough into the future. That I was only taking the near future into account. Then I considered France, which although they know how to live well, is a nation that abhors the future. I wanted to educate myself more about futures on a national level, so I settled on one class for the fall semester called Peacebuilding, Regional Ethnography, & Post Conflict Reconstruction. It's essentially International Development, taught by Dr. Grayzel, Maryland's newest Baha'i Chair for World Peace and a former officer of USAID overseas for 27 years. Imagine my delight when I discovered Dr. Grayzel was teaching a honors seminar the next semester on the FUTURE. And then my intensified delight when he asked me to be the TA! So far we've talked about Utopian theory. Tomorrow is a guest lecturer from Israel who's an expert on Leibniz. And I'm going to talk about how Leibniz's philosophy relates to Spinoza's. Oh boy!

DaliaBloom, "The Rundown," The Taming of the Jew: silly, semitic, sincere

No comments: