Friday, December 29, 2006

On Blogging Is Cool: Letting Go of the Important Work

Blogging is cool! I enjoy every minute of it. I'm not going to stop, but I am shifting my priorities around a little bit.

Blogging is a cool medium. I think it was my wife who first enunciated this truth for me, sharing something she'd read. It's cool, as in "indirect," cool as in "not warm." Face-to-face is warm.

Blogging serves a wonderful purpose in the world for Baha'is in advancing the Cause. But blogging for teaching purposes depends on Baha'i "boots on the ground," so to speak. It is in face-to-face and soul-to-soul communication that the growth of the Faith ultimately depends.

I have the privilege of living in a very special community. WA Cluster 19 is a so-called "A-cluster." It's potential for growth is extraordinary. Accordingly, I'm going to be giving greater priority in my discretionary time to participation in the core activities of my community. This blog may remain relatively dormant for a while. But it's for a good Cause.

Check out from time to time my other blog, Teaching the Baha'i Faith, to see if I am following through on my intentions.

There is a Baha'i saying: "When the most important work is at hand, let go of the important work."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww! I'm going to miss my daily dose of Baha'i Views!!

But participating in your local cluster is also very important. I'm sure great things lie in the future of your local community.

Keep in touch with your fellow bloggers! Never forget just how grateful I am for this blog, I'm sure you know it pretty much has changed my life! You and your family are always in my prayers! :)

child_of_africa said...

I'll miss regular Baha'i Views too. I do hope that you will post more reglarly on your other blog now though. the stories there are inspirational.

Jess said...

George, I wouldn't say that this is true at all:

"It is in face-to-face and soul-to-soul communication that the growth of the Faith ultimately depends."

I have learned so, so much from you and Bonita through your blogs. You have given me such insight into Baha'i thinking and the tenets of the Faith. Bonita has been an inspiration through her kindness and her generous spirit. The two of you have impacted me just as much as any Baha'i I've met face to face as I've been studying these last several months.

I will be checking your Teaching the Baha'i Faith blog. :-) Thanks for everything!

Anonymous said...

I am very sad to read that you will not be continuing regularly with this blog. I hope you appreciate the tremendous impact your blog has had on its readers and others. You are performing a unique and amazing service with this website and doing something that no one else is doing. "Unity in diversity" is what keeps the Faith alive.

paradox said...

well... good luck with the other important cause... but i was so used to this blog and different excerpts gathered from various bloggers/readers.
anyhow, wish you a happy new year filled with the warmth of unity and the coolness of diversity.

Anonymous said...

I received word of your decision to cut back on contributing to this blog from several non-Baha'is that I had originally referred to it. Their disappointment speaks volumes about the impact you and this blog have made in positively affecting hearts and minds about the Faith. I regret that they, as well as I, will no longer have the benefit of your active contribution to this silent yet immeasurably effective teacher of the Cause.

GWD said...

Thank you Ashley, COL, Jess, Anon, Paradox, and Anon for your kind comments. It's been 16 days since I posted this. In that time I HAVE been able to prioritize teaching in my community. I have also been able to set up a computer and work space at home that should make it easier for me to post. Maybe it's because it is a 3-day weekend, but I feel moved to interrupt the dormancy with new posts to Baha'i Views. Every day gives rise to a new perspective on priorities.