Wednesday, November 15, 2006

On Second Language Acquisition: Teaching the Baha'i Faith in Sign

Danya is majoring in English and taking sign af SFSU. He practices sign with a fellow student and shares with her the history of the Baha'i Faith. -gw


Left & right, Danya's LiveJournal user pics
I went to meet with Erin. Erin is another student in Second Language Acquisition who is taking Sign Language. We've been meeting every Tuesday for a month or more, just practicing our Sign. I told Erin a little about asking someone out, because I wanted to, and because I thought some explanation for my scattered yet intense state might be necessary.

We talked about the presentations we made in Sign class. She showed me some pictures of her family, her boyfriend, and her dog. I felt relieved to discover she had a boyfriend. Made it less awkward that I had told her about asking someone else out. (One of the many things I probably don't need to worry about, but do.)

We ended up talking for a long time, basically giving the expanded short form of our life stories. I gave her a fuller history of the Baha'i Faith than I've ever given anyone. We were talking for about an hour and a half. (And no, that wasn't all in Sign.)

So that was quite interesting.

Danya, "Floodgates," Romantic Goggles At An Intimate Distance

{Re-posted with permission}

No comments: