Monday, November 13, 2006

On Mix CDs: Every Song Has Some Sort of Baha'i Context

"chris dj'ing,"uploaded on November 28, 2005 by rhian_bach, on flickr

I DJ-ed yesterday for our cluster's Birth of Baha'u'llah celebration, and, boy, was it fun. (The pic to the left is NOT me.) Ah, songs!! Every song, no matter how inane or profane, can be put in some sort of Baha'i context. I started a separate blog for these sorts of posts, but, on second thought, I think I'll include these occasional offerings on Baha'i Views. Here is a mix CD of some favorites of mine with a line of lyrics. -gw

1. Everclear - Unemployed Boyfriend. “This is gonna sound a little bit out there, this is gonna sound a little insane”
2. David Byrne – Glass, Concrete & Stone. “Looking at happiness, keepin’ my flavor fresh”
3. Cibo Matto – The Lint of Love. “We could live, we could jive, without the lint of love”
4. Fleetwood Mac – Big Love. “Looking out for love, big, big love”
5. Incubus – Are You In? “It’s so much better when everyone’s in”
6. Good Charlotte – The World Is Black. “But the world is black, and hearts are cold, and there’s no hope, that’s what we’re told”

7. Queen – Dragon Attack. “Take me to the room where the beats all round - gonna eat that sound - yeah, yeah, yeah”
8. Rick Springfield – Free. “So this is the cage that I built, why I built it, I don’t know”
9. Basia – Perfect Mother. “People say, she’s too young, should a child have a child, hers is gonna be a perfect baby”
10. Fugazi – And the Same. “Yes, I know this is politically correct, but it comes to you spiritually direct, an attempt to thoughtfully affect your way of thinking”
11. No Doubt – It’s My Life. “It’s my life, it never ends”
12. Death Cab for Cutie – Information Travels. “Information travels faster in the modern age”
13. Rammstein – Du Hast. “Du hast mich gefragt”
14. Natalie Merchant – Carnival. “Have I been blind, have I been lost, inside my self and my own mind”
15. Split Endz – Message to My Girl. “No more empty self-possession, vision swept under the rug”
16. Tara and Jamey Heath – Capable to Love. “You gave us knowledge and wisdom”

17. Yes – Hearts. “One people, together, freedom for today, so easy the future, so see the children’s way”
18. Devo – Whip It. “Crack that whip, give the past the slip”

No comments: