Monday, November 13, 2006

On Amazing Grace, Hatred in Iran, and Independence from Partisan Politics: Francie Prays for Peace

"Steam rises from the top of the heating plant at the University of Maine"
uploaded on January 20, 2005 by NightThree on flickr
The persecution of the Baha'is in Iran continues to take ominous turns. Francie blogs her about her impressions. According to her LiveJournal bio, Francie is a music student at the University of Maine, " proud sister of Tau Beta Sigma, Delta Nu chapter," a percussion major who hates atonal music, whose favorite song is Amazing Grace. Here is her post. -gw

One of my favorite concepts is "if we fail to learn from history, we are doomed to repeat it." I've always loved that phrase, not because it's a good thing, but because it's an intriguing concept. When you fail a class, you have to take it again, and when humanity fails to learn, humanity has to face its trials again. Unfortunately, we are constantly repeating history.

I have always been fascinated with the most horrendous eras of history; the witch trials, the holocaust, etc. My mind thrives to understand the hatred and animosity that exists within the hearts of the people at the forefront of these times. The ingenious plans that these leaders and their governments execute; the control they have over their citizens; the charisma that these essentially evil souls emanate...imagine the wonders these people could have created if they had simply worked for good instead of evil.

Despite my fascination, I find myself at a loss...I'm not afraid of certain events that are happening across the globe, but I am touched. I've been touched by an evil that I never thought I would see personally in my lifetime. I suppose I've always known about this evil, and I should have expected that it would surface and take its toll on the world, but I didn't expect it so soon. I never thought I would see another situation that could be attributed to the likeness of Adolf Hitler in my time on this earth, but I have. It's only beginning...and I certainly hope that it ends...

Such a beautiful culture has been wronged and mangled into something so ugly. To all the peoples of Iran; Muslim and Baha'i alike; I pray for your peace.

Francie, "News in the World," Snorkles and Sporks: The Show Must Go On

The Stillwater River in Orono, location of a campus of the University of Maine, uploaded on July 8, 2005 by Random Factor on flickr
---------
Francie is a Baha'i. Baha'is avoid partisan politics like the plague, as it is not in keeping with the spirit of the Faith. Francie took on-line tests to determine "how Democrat" and "how Republican" she was. Here were her results and her conclusion. -gw

You Are 20% Democrat: If you have anything in common with the Democratic party, it's by sheer chance. You're a staunch conservative, and nothing is going to change that!

You Are 20% Republican: If you have anything in common with the Republican party, it's by sheer chance. You're a staunch liberal, and nothing is going to change that!

I guess I really am an independent after all ;)

Francie, "Interesting..." Snorkles and Sporks: The Show Must Go On

{Re-posted with permission}

No comments: