Monday, October 16, 2006

On Becoming a Baha'i: Mith Wows Us

Mith in Tucson, Arizona, is a man who apparently believes in the principle of "fewness of words and abundance of deeds." There are just three posts (so far) on his MySpace blog.

In the first he introduces himself with "Some things about my interests." In the second he writes:

"It seems I've found religion. I read The Challenge of Baha'u'llah by Gary L. Matthews. Yes, I am now Baha'i. It makes way too much sense for me to deny. The hardest part is giving up drinking especially so close to my 21st birthday."

In the third he wows us with the following succinct description. -gw

So I went to my first Baha'i devotional tonite. It was plain awesome. Dinner was excellent. Had some enchiladas, Persian pomegranate chicken, rice, and tadiq. Had some great Persian melange tea. I signed a declaration card and got a prayer book along with other books to read. We said our prayers on service to humanity. Everyone at the place was really cool. I met a linguist and read through a little bit of one of his books. The host was an audiophile and he and I sat and listened to music and talked music for a good three hours. Tons of fun. I have a new picture up as well.

Mith, "Wow," MySpace

Mith's has started a LiveJournal blog, too, with this as his biographical information: "I'm a Baha'i. I'm new to the faith. I'm creating this journal to track my progress through life starting from the day after my declaration." Here is the first entry with today's date. -gw

Today was my first Baha'i Feast. Last nite was my first Baha'i Fireside. The Baha'i community here in Southern Arizona has been so friendly and helpful I can't say it enough. I've met... quite a few people and I can only remember a few names. Everyone has been wonderful though.

I was given a bicycle headlamp today at the Feast but unfortunately the handle bars are a little too skinny for the clamp. I'll have to get some duct tape or something. This will allow me to get back and forth from work more easily instead of walk forever, then riding the bus, walking some more and then making my mom stay up so late to pick me up.

My mom hasn't been the most supportive but then again she is a Christian. Hopefully she'll notice the change I feel inside. Salaam.

Mithshrike, "New Baha'i," LiveJournal

No comments: