Monday, September 25, 2006

On Loving Christ, Baha'u'llah, and Our Parents: Forgive me, my parents, and those who have entered the abode of love


I BEG Thy forgiveness, O my God, and implore pardon after the manner Thou wishest Thy servants to direct themselves to Thee. I beg of Thee to wash away our sins as befitteth Thy Lordship, and to forgive me, my parents, and those who in Thy estimation have entered the abode of Thy love in a manner which is worthy of Thy transcendent sovereignty and well beseemeth the glory of Thy celestial power. -The Bab

Baha'is are to love their parents. Sometimes we must love them in the face of their opposition to what we hold most dear, as Andrew mightily strives to do as evidenced by this post. -gw

They, currently, cannot accept that I can love Christ and Baha'u'llah simultaneously. To me it's all or nothing. The teachings of the Baha'i Faith enabled me to accept, unconditionally, the teachings and words of Jesus when beforehand, while attending church, I sincerely doubted there validity. If my parents wanted me to love Christ, wouldn't they want me to choose the path that leads me to love Christ in my own way? There are thousands of sects of Christianity, what's one more variation of thought on his station in this world?

Andrew, "750 Miles and Counting," This Is Not Reality

{Re-posted with permission}

1 comment:

Jess said...

His words are very provacative for me. I agree in that I have more appreciation for Christ's teachings now that I am studying Baha'i than I did as a struggling Christian. Baha'u'llah and Abdu'l'Baha unravel the mystery of so many questions I had about Christian teachings and they offer reasonable alternative interpretations of those teachings rather than the starkly literal ones I was raised with.