Wednesday, June 07, 2006

On Why Religion: A Snippet and a Story from soc.religion.bahai

Here is a snippet from a thread "Re: No Ambiguity" on soc.religion.bahai...

David Jensen wrote:

Yes this is true, but it depends on why you choose to believe in areligion. I believe in Baha'u'llah not because of his laws andhumanitarian principles, because I like Baha'is, or anything like it. Ibelieve in Baha'u'llah because after investigating his life andwritings and the effect they have had on the world and on souls, I havebelieve him to be the Vicgerant of God for this age. Sure I can'tfollow all the laws or else I would be the perfect exemplar, all youcan do is try.

But then again, I know that most people attend a church because its theclosest one to their home, regardless of what it is (within reason). Orthey become followers of a religion or sect because it suits theirneeds, or coincides with their beliefs.I just don't see religion that way. But that's just me.

Hi Dave-

Your comments more or less captured my own thoughts on the issues raised with exception of why I believed in the Baha'i Faith.

I was searching for something, no doubt of that. However at the time my prayer was for God to send someone to help me dealing with life situations that were intolerable. Strange thing is I went to various churches in search for the Remedy but all were closed since I went after regular hours. I thought it strange that churches had closed doors when I was in need for God to help me.

But then along came my wife, a Cherokee lady with two wee Indian girls and I was divorced and had my own two children. She was a Baha'i and I had hired her out of many applicants and yet she really did not have all the necessary qualifications. There was something about her, a radiance, that sort of captivated my whole being. Well, it turned out she became the best of employees and she had what I needed in spirit. She gave me very book there was at the time, the Primary and Secondary sources as well as about 90% of all the books about the Faith written by Baha'is. I spent three years studying the Faith and I must say it was through my mind that I declared. Later when we went to Mexico to travel teach and pioneer, I got the Message in my heart. So I know there are many ways a person can declare but sooner or later one must reach that condition of certitude in which it is not necessary to prove everything. I concur that the key is Baha'u'llah and once a soul has been able to accept without any qualifications His Revelation then it is a matter of striving to obey and all of us are at different stages and I believe each of us is being tested in the areas we are in the most need.

As far as religion goes I get the idea from my own studies that there are two types. There is the Revealed Religion (capital R) and there is our perception and understanding of the Revelation that produces an ever evolving religion (small r). I find most people I know are claiming to be Christian or Muslims because of it being passed down to them in their family. The way religion is being presented and practiced today in most cases are doctrines and dogmas that most thinking people simply cannot accept but yet they may belong and attend a church simply because of the social activities.

regards,doug

No comments: