Wednesday, May 31, 2006

On Stages of Faith: Updates from Emily and Max

Arizona State University Library, Tempe, Arizona

Readers of Baha'i Views have come to know Emily of Tempe, Arizona, blogger of an exploration in Faith. She is taking a class in Farsi this summer, she writes in "Prima":

I am taking it along side seven other people, two are middle-aged adults, and two are students who's parents are Iranian. My professor just came here from Tehran 3 years ago, it seems it will be a lovely class. She asked us to explain a little bit about ourselves and why we wished to learn Farsi, and I happily told the class that I wanted to learn Farsi because I am a Baha'i. My professor exclaimed "You mean there are non-Iranian Baha'i's? I thought they were only in Iran!" So I even more happily told the class that the Baha'i Faith is among the most widespread religions.

This is how Emily closes a recent post about visiting where she grew up:

I was able to teach the Baha'i Faith to one of my closest friends today, one from highschool. I have been talking about my Faith to many old highschool friends when I think about it, and it feels so amazing. It feels so amazing to spread the teachings of Baha'u'llah and watch a friends eyes light up and hear them exclaim "That's EXACTLY what I believe!"

I worry a lot about "pushing" my religion on other people. I know how desperately I loathed people who did that to me, yet now I can appreciate their motive. To truly love God so much and to want other people to be able to have a relationship with God as well. My friends are thirsting for God, but they are so hesitant of "religion." Many believe that they can have a relationship with God by being spiritual on their own, but clearly it isn't working (just as it never worked for me.) I hope that God guides me in my endeavor to spread his message without forcing it on anyone. I hope that people will see how much I love Baha'u'llah and be inspired and drawn to love him as well.

Here's the latest email from Max:

I really think that the Baha'i Faith is the one for me. Right away when I read about it I was immediately thinking "wow, I think this is me". Even though I am still searching and seeing if I Christianity (the whole Jesus as God thing) isn't what I really am.

No comments: