Thursday, May 04, 2006

On Real Life, Real Baha'is: Melody Kristina's Story

Life isn't easy. "Some of us were not born with a gold spoon in our mouth," as my father used to say. We have no control as to whom we are born or what family we find ourself in.

It is the job of parents to nurture and support. Some parents do a better job than others. Each child grows up to be responsible to God, no matter who his or her parents are or what family he or she grows up in.

The Baha'i Faith is not for the perfect, as no one is perfect. It is the means by which we human beings strive for perfection on this plane of existence, attempting to acquire God's attributes along the way, despite any shortcomings of the family we grew up in or our own.

1. Consider Melody Kristina's statement of faith and then 2. learn her personal story.

(1)I am a Baha'i (www.bahaifaith.org) by choice. I could undeclare if I wanted to but why would I? If you get a chance, go to the link above to find out more to why I love this religion sooo much! Being a Baha'i has much to offer and it makes me realize the reason for existence - my existence. Don't get me wrong, I have made many mistakes and I'm not a "perfect" individual who abides by all the rules. I will tell you this... growing up, I have learned that I have a choice to do better - greater things no matter how deep or how hard I fall.

Ive gained a lot from my own experiences and of others to put current situations into perspective. Most of the time I think about the consequences of the decisions I make and how it will effect myself and other people. I have been the type of person who is indecisive and have taken a very long time to decide what it is that I want. Its been that other people have made decisions for me while now I can see how my choices effect the way I think and do things. Its easier for other people to tell you what to do and how to do it but I think the real meaning of life is to face the battle everyday of making choices, decisions, and mistakes that will make us stronger individuals.

I'm a person with a lot of motivation and desire to be the best I can be. I am not one who is easily influenced by others and instead you will find me doing my own thing, thinking my own way, and having strong beliefs about individualism. You can say that I like to be different because I could care less how you think of me, see me, and judge me. I don't care for copycats nor people who will belittle others for their own satisfaction. I speak my mind and give an opinion when necessary. The choice to do what you want and how you go about it, is yours. I enjoy conversation and hearing other people's stories because I believe that everyone can benefit from other's experiences.
~~~~~~~~~
(2)So many people ask me what my nationality is and from then on it's basically explaining my life. Some of you know but for others who have no idea... I was born in South Korea and I am full Korean. My two younger sisters and I were placed in an orphanage when I was about 5 years old. After a few months were then placed in a foster home where I was molested and abused. About a year later we were all adopted overseas to a Persian mother and a Native American/Irish father here in California.

A few years after the adoption our parents divorced and our mother had custody of us. Since she was working full time and always in and out of town for business trips she hired a live-in nanny from Mexico. I really didn't see my mother as much and when I did see her it was always drama between her and I. I didn't really get to enjoy my childhood as much as I would have liked but no regrets. I believe that there is a Greater Cause and everything happens for a reason, whether we will admit to the fact that we may not even know the "whys".

I have been blessed with being able to choose my own name. When I was 6 years old I chose 'Melody'. Since then I have been facing the battle of finding my identity. But I will tell you this... Everyone goes through heartache and crazy drama; honestly it's how you deal with it that really matters. You always have a choice and every decision you make will affect someone or something.

If I was not adopted, I would not know where I would be today. My love for diversity and culture has been implanted in me since the first day I arrived her in Cali. Being adopted has taught me a lot about values and family. I have learned to appreciate more than what life has to offer me. I did not really understand what my purpose was in life but now after talking to people and hearing their stories; I have taken that understaning to another level. My purpose in life is to help other people in less fortunate situations than myself... I intend doing just that...

Melody Kristina, MySpace

No comments: