Friday, April 21, 2006

On Spreading the Baha'i Message: With Ocean Liners, Automobiles, and the Internet

Collage: University of Alberta Libraries
The Baha'i Faith can be an especially intriguing subject for religious scholars, those inclined towards the academic study of religion, or simply those who have an abiding interest in the phenomenon of religion although not necessarily formal training. It is interesting for Baha'is to see how their Faith is presented by those who study it and write about it. Shadows is a new Baha'i blog that features "religious news and opinion." The blogger, Bradley Richert, aspires to be degreed in religious studies. He is an undergraduate student at the University of Alberta which has, by the way, a Campus Association for Baha'i Studies. Perhaps he is familiar with Baha'is on campus.

Today which is the first day of Ridvan, a Baha'i Holy Day, Bradley has featured the Faith on his blog. His description is that of a person looking in from the outside. His expressions are not quite how a Baha'i might characterize their Faith, but are for the most part accurate factually. His treatment is certainly positive in nature. Here is his blog.ca profile, followed by excerpts from his overview.

brichert (Bradley Richert), male, 23 years old, Edmonton, Canada, speaks English (CA). "I am currently an undergraduate (still) student at the University of Alberta. I am a double major in Philosophy and Religious Studies. My main interests are in ethics as well as gnostic/esoteric studies. Eventually, and I really mean eventually since I have a kid on the way, I will continue my education in hopes of attaining a MA in Religious Studies."

... One such significant religion is the Baha'i Faith. Much like the founders of the world's other major religions, Bahá'u'lláh received an explicit vision from God. The history of the Baha'i Faith reads like a condensed version of the Judeo-Christian scriptures. And like the Christian faith, the Baha'i was founded during a crucial epoch in history which would contribute to the exponential growth of the religion. As early Christians took advantage of the Pax Romana complete with safe passage on the newly built road system, the Baha'i have spread their message with the use of ocean liners, automobiles, and now the internet. ...

In just over 150 years since that first declaration, the Baha'i Faith has become known as one of the most ethnically diverse religions boasting approximately 5 million adherents. It is often used as a functionary by the United Nations because of its distinct advocacy for human rights. It is one of the new independent major religions, meaning that it has transcended a "cult" like status and is taken seriously on the world religious stage.

However, the religious plurality, or more definitive, the religious relativity, of the Baha'i Faith occasionally runs into conflict when addressing certain congregations. The Baha'i Faith does not target conversions from the mainstream adherents of other rleigions, but to those who are disgruntled with the lack of tolerance and acceptance. ...

Bradley Richert, "He Whom God Shall Make Manifest," Shadows, Religious News and Opinion

5 comments:

Jess said...

George, thanks for the link. I really liked the blurb explaining how Baha'u'llah has fulfilled prophecies in all the major world religions.

I am going to meet with a Baha'i woman tomorrow evening. Ella is sick this week making last night an impossiblity. My Baha'i friend at the salon is Iranian and I think she feels intimidated to sit down and tell me about the faith. She is having an American woman meet me tomorrow night at an informal gathering.

Just thought I would keep you posted. :-)

Also, no the new picture wasn't taken professionally. Actually, I held the camera out and took it myself!!!

Jess said...

One more quick question:

Do you personally study the scriptures of all the world's faiths since Baha'is accept them all as divine revelations? I know absolutely nothing about the Koran but now I am thinking I should learn more about Islam and read their holy book. The same applies to all the other world religions.

I am realizing that it is pretty crazy to proclaim belief in any one "true" faith if you haven't bothered to learn about the other religions in the world. How can one be sure they are right and everyone else is wrong if they have no idea what the other people believe? Christians (at least none I've met) have never encouraged me to learn about other religions. I realize now that any experiences I had with God through Christianity were probably because God was using it as a vehicle to connect with me, not because it is the one true faith.

Anonymous said...

I can't answer for the creator of the blog, but I can answer for myself as the author of this particular article featured.

As a academic student of religion I personally study those religions in which I find some sort of experimental truth. If a religion is purely theory and does not uphold in the practical life, it simply cannot hold my interest. I tend to view the Baha'i Faith in a positive light because of its inter-religious relations. I commend you on your willingness to open up such scriptures, especially the Koran. It is so crucial at this point in history to educate oneself with such knowledge.

Anonymous said...

Hi George! I was looking for the link that Jess talks about in her comment. I was just curious how Baha'u'llah has fulfilled prophecies in all the major world religions and I am guessing that also includes Christianity? I have been a Christian most of my life and I have never come across any prophecies in the Bible that have been about Baha'u'llah. Perhaps you could list those scriptures from the Bible that the Baha'is use.

Jess said...

Annie, the link is right above the comments link. It takes you to the complete article George excerpted and has the blurb I wrote about in my first comment.