Wednesday, April 05, 2006

On Discovering the Baha'i Faith: The Basic Information

My hope is that people who visit a Baha'i blogger's site will be able to discern without great difficulty some essence of the Faith. So no personal poetics here, just the exquisite facts for this posting. Let me quote from The Baha'is, the official site for the International Baha'i Community, its answer to the question, "What's the Baha'i Faith?"

The Bahá'í Faith is the youngest of the world's independent religions. Its founder, Bahá'u'lláh (1817-1892), is regarded by Bahá'ís as the most recent in the line of Messengers of God that stretches back beyond recorded time and that includes Abraham, Moses, Buddha, Zoroaster, Christ and Muhammad.

The central theme of Bahá'u'lláh's message is that humanity is one single race and that the day has come for its unification in one global society. God, Bahá'u'lláh said, has set in motion historical forces that are breaking down traditional barriers of race, class, creed, and nation and that will, in time, give birth to a universal civilization. The principal challenge facing the peoples of the earth is to accept the fact of their oneness and to assist the processes of unification.

One of the purposes of the Bahá'í Faith is to help make this possible. A worldwide community of some five million Bahá'ís, representative of most of the nations, races and cultures on earth, is working to give Bahá'u'lláh's teachings practical effect. Their experience will be a source of encouragement to all who share their vision of humanity as one global family and the earth as one homeland.

3 comments:

Annie said...

Thanks for posting this George! It is very helpful to have kind of a summary of what the Baha'i faith is. When I tell people that my in-laws are Baha'i it seems that most people have heard of the Baha'i faith but don't actually know what it is. This will help me to tell them a little more clearly what your faith is. I think it is really good for us to know and understand the faiths of the people around us. Then I think we are more able to relate to one another and know where eachother is coming from. :)

GWD said...

I agree with you completely, dear daughter-in-law!

Jess said...

George, thanks so much for posting this! I have had quite a response to my blogs from friends and family in emails asking me for a general summary of what Baha'is believe. If you don't mind I may take this post of yours and put it up on my own blog because it is such a nice, concise description.

Interestingly, I got into a discussion with one of my clients at work today about religion (I am a hairstylist) which is a big No No in my field. I told her I was studying the Baha'i faith and she asked me about it because she had never heard of it. Oh my- I did such a bad job of it because I know so very little. I referred her to bahai.org because she seemed very interested. Anyway, this blurb you posted is great because when asked in the future I will be able to give a better reply.

Thanks for all the encouragment!