Tuesday, October 30, 2012

On the Emergence of Screen Time As an Issue of Concern: What is best for baby brains

Valuable screen time for junior youth
Valuable junior youth screen time
+

When I was a little kid the only screens I knew of were those over a window. Screen time was looking through one.
+

+
Then we got TV, although we were the last on the block. TVs have screens. I've spent a lot of time in front of a TV screen.
+

+
Then I started watching football and I began to hear of screen plays. At one point I was watching WAY too much football and, by percentage, way too many screen plays.
+

+
Then computers came along. Computers have screens. I'm looking at a screen right now. I would be scared to know how much time I spend looking at PC screens at work and at home. No wonder my eyes are going.
+
Then cell phones were invented with screens that started small but have gotten bigger. I got the small kind of screen still, I'm not smart enough or willing to pay for getting a phone with a bigger screen.
+

+
So today we live in a world filled with screens. If we are raising children, we are asked to monitor screen time, especially with young children. Watch TV with your children and interpret along the way -- provide "scaffolding" for them to understand what it is they are watching. That is best for brains, because their experience with the screen is in the context of their relationship with you. as this brief snippet from the recent symposium in Mukileteo on infant mental health suggests -gw
+

No comments: