Thursday, September 13, 2012

On Being Visited By Mr Big Bot: Next time, sign the guestbook, OK?

 
While I was gone to Illinois and not checking my computer I was visited by a robot.
 
Internet bots, also known as web robots, WWW robots or simply bots, are software applications that run automated tasks over the Internet. Typically, bots perform tasks that are both simple and structurally repetitive, at a much higher rate than would be possible for a human alone.
 
 
Actually I am visited by one particular bot many times a day, one that goes by the name of "google.bot.com" in particular, according to my Baha'i Views Sitemeter statistics.
 
But someother mysterious bot visited my Flickr account and ran up my Flickr view counts for 9-7- and 9-8 astronomically. Whereas the average number of hits to Baha'i Views / Flitzy Phoebie on Flickr currently is around 2000 a day, on the 7th the actual number of hits was 17,748 and on the 8th 36,035. Every photo and video was visited 1 to 5 times. The net result was that my all-time view count advanced vigorously almost to the one and a half million mark.
 
I don't know what the bot was looking for. I trust there was no malevalent purpose. But, hey, next time Mr Big Bot, sign my guest book. OK? -gw
 

Posted via email from Baha'i Views

No comments: