Monday, February 06, 2012

On the Most Widely Practiced American Art Form: The Mixtape as artistic work

A Mix Tape or Mixed Tape is a compilation of songs recorded in a specific order, traditionally onto an audio Compact Cassette.
 
A Mix Tape, which usually reflects the musical tastes of its compiler, can range from a casually selected list of favorite songs, to a conceptual mix of songs linked by a theme or mood, to a highly personal statement tailored to the tape's intended recipient. Essayist Geoffrey O'Brien has called the personal mix tape "the most widely practiced American art form",and many mix tape enthusiasts believe that by carefully selecting and ordering the tracks in a mix, an artistic statement can be created that is greater than the sum of its individual songs.
 
With the advent of affordable, consumer-level digital audio, creating and distributing mixes in the form of compact disc or MP3 playlists has become the contemporary method of choice, but the term mix tape is still commonly used, even for mixes in different media
 
 
 
I’ve been putting together mix CDs again (it doesn't make sense to me to call them mixtapes). Now that I'm DJ-ing for the All-Staff meetings at my work, I’ve taken to asking co-workers what their favorite songs are. I’ve been getting lists that will help me with my next all-staff playlist. A DJ has GOT to play to his audience. Here's Steve's song list.
 
>
> Hi George,
>  
> Sorry I've taken so long to get this to you. Here are some of my favorites:
 
>
> Fanfare for the Common Man- Copland
> Rainbow Serpent- Didgeridoo Music not sure who the artist is
> Ghost in this house- Alison Krause
> How's the World Treating you- James Taylor and Alison Krause
> Dreamin my dreams with you- Alison Krause
> Amy Winehouse- Im no good
> Andrea boccelli- Por Ti Volare
> King Louis song from the Jungle book and Bear Necesities
> Bear Mountain Picnic- Bob Dylan
> Rasputin- Boney M
> Spirit in the Night- Bruce Springstein
> Hard Headed Woman- Cat Stevens
> Fu## You- Cee Lo Green
> I will wait for You- Connie Francis
> Superman Song- Crash Test Dummies
> I will follow you into the dark- Death cab for cutie
> Groove is in the Heart- Dee Lite
> Deuling Banjos- Deliverance
> Somebody- Depeche Mode
> Whip it- Devo
> Down with the sickness- Disturbed
> Drift away- Dobie Gray
> Vincent- Don Mclean
> Freakin at the freakers ball- Dr. Hook
> Your Song- Elton John
> Juke Box Hero- foriegner
> Boyz in the Hood- Ghetto Boys
> Hotel California- Gypsy Kings
> Patience- Guns&Roses
> Put the lime in the coconut- Harry Nilsson
> 99 Problems- Hugo
> Hooty Hoo- WA WA Punx
> Take me the way I am- Ingrid Michaelson
> Hallelujah- Jeff Buckley
> I dont know how to love him- Jesus Christ Superstar Soundtrack (the movie not the musical)
> A little help from my friends- Joe Cocker
> Texas Funeral- John Wayne
> The beast in me- Johnny Cash
> Hurt- Johnny Cash
> Gypsy- Kan Nal
> Dream on- Kelly Sweet
> The Gambler- Kenny Rogers
> Just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in- Kenny Rogers
> Smile- Madeleine Peyroux
> Hero of the day-  Metalica
> Little lion Man- Mumford Sons
> The cave- Mumford sons
> Summer time- Mungo Jerry
> Smoothie Song- Nickel Creek
> Just Breathe- pearl jam
> Hey There Delilah- Plain White Tees
> Kiss- Prince 
> I want to break free- Queen
> Star Light- Slash featuring Miles Kennedy
> I saw red- Sublime
> The Diva Dance- The Fifth Element Soundtrack
> Lost in my mind- The head and the heart
> Mr. Brightside- the killers
> Lola- The Kinks
> Science Fiction Double feature- Rocky Horror Picture Show Soundtrack
> Happy jack- The Who
> Crystalized- The XX
> Thats not my name- Ting Tings
> Gimme one reason- Tracey Chapman
> Why cant I get just one kiss- Violent Femmes
> Werewolves of London- Warren Zevon
> Beverly Hills- Weezer
> Teenage Dirtbag- Wheatus
> Mexican Blackbird- ZZ top
 
>
> Steven
 
I didn't know that Gypsy Kings had a version of Hotel California? As one friend says, you never can have enough music. -gw 
 
Unity is not, that is, merely a condition resulting from a sense of mutual goodwill and common purpose, however profound and sincerely held such sentiments may be, any more than an organism is a product of some fortuitous and amorphous association of various elements. Unity is a phenomenon of creative power, whose existence becomes apparent through the effects that collective action produces and whose absence is betrayed by the impotence of such efforts. However handicapped it often has been by ignorance and perversity, this force has been the primary influence driving the advancement of civilization, generating legal codes, social and political institutions, artistic works, technological achievements without end, moral breakthroughs, material prosperity, and long periods of public peace whose afterglow lived in the memories of subsequent generations as imagined "golden ages". ...
 
 

Posted via email from Baha'i Views

No comments: