Sunday, December 04, 2011

On My Heart Goes Where the Wild Goose Goes: Mitchum's charitable recollections

There is something very beautiful about a flock of geese swirling above, unless, of course, you are trying to play football under them. -gw
 
 
Mitchum stretched his legs out long under the coffee table. Whirled the ice in his glass. Whistled: My heart goes where the wild goose goes.
 
How'd you get started?

"Well, my father was killed when I was three, so I was principally shipped around to relatives. I finally left when I was 14. Jumped on a train, came back, left again when I was 15, wound up on a chain gang in Savannah, came back, went to California. My first break was working for Hopalong Cassidy, falling off horses.

"So now I support my favorite charity: Myself. That's where the money goes. My wife, my kids. I have a brother, weighs about 280 pounds. Two sisters, a mother, a step-father. I think my sisters are religious mystics. They belong to that Baha'i faith."

 
 
As recorded by FRANKIE LAINE
(original Mercury Records recording):

My heart knows what the wild goose knows
And I must go where the wild goose goes
Wild goose, brother goose, which is best
A wanderin' foot or a heart at rest

Tonight I heard the wild goose cry
Wingin' north in the lonely sky
I tried to sleep, it wern't no use
'Cause I am a brother to the old wild goose

Posted via email from Baha'i Views

No comments: