Friday, June 10, 2011

On 'Abdu'l-Baha in the Kitchen: Cooking as service

We gathered round him in a circle, and he made us sit beside him in the window seat. One of the members, who was ill, had a specially beautiful greeting from him. ‘Abdu’l-Bahá began by saying, as he seated himself: “Are you happy?” and our faces must have shown him that we were. He then said: “I love you all, you are the children of the Kingdom, and you are accepted of God. Though you may be poor here, you are rich in the treasures of the Kingdom. I am the Servant of the poor. Remember how His Holiness Jesus said: ‘Blessed are the poor!’ If all the queens of the earth were gathered here, I could not be more glad!”
 
‘Abdu’l-Bahá knew that we had a treasury box from which we try to help people less fortunate than ourselves. Presently he rose, and said: “You are dear to me. I want to do something for you! I cannot cook for you (he had previously seen us busy in the kitchen) but here is something for your fund.” He went round the circle to each, with a beautiful smile, shaking hands with all, and giving the Bahá’í greeting: “Alláh’u’Abhá!”
 
 
 
Sit at the counter at the Southern Kitchen restaurant in Tacoma and you get to watch the intense activity in the kitchen. What a wonderful service it is to prepare food for others!  'Abdu'l-Baha would serve in this manner. Bonita cooks for me. In one of my most viewed videos, Feloria would cook for Zee, in a story told by Rocky. -gw
 

Posted via email from Baha'i Views

No comments: