Saturday, April 30, 2011

On Managing Depression: Maintain spiritual practices and seek professional help

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "On Managing Depression: Spiritual Solutions":

I am a Baha'i and I have experienced depression for most of my life. I am at a point in my life that I am really suffering. I try to fill my heart with God's love and fly above these feelings but sometimes I feel no connection. I love the Faith and I want to love myself as God's creation. I want to have that burning love but sometimes I don't feel like living anymore. What Baha'i literature can I read that touches on mental illness so that I can try to understand a way to be on my path and overcome this very difficult test? I need help. I need support. I live like this in a closet. I put on my happy face but I don't radiate like a spiritual being should. In such a loving community I feel so lonely. I pray that God will give me strength and answers. Does anyone have any advice?

 
You are not alone as a Baha'i who experiences depression. My advice is to seek the help of professionals who specialize in alleviating the symptoms of mental illness and consult with a nearby Baha'i Spiritual Assembly. The Baha'i Writings all contribute to mental fitnss. We may not always "feel it" when we pray and study, but by maintaining spiritual practices and seeking professional help, we will achieve our heart's desire. Therapy works. God really loves us. -gw
 
 
 

 

Posted via email from Baha'i Views

No comments: