Sunday, January 09, 2011

On Rowing, Hiking, and Yoga: Addressing the chronic diseases of the wealthy West

Should I attend my morning rowing sessions on Tinaroo lake because it helps my weight control or even my back strength. While I am happy it does both of these, the enjoyment of the beauty around me when I row, the enjoyment of the challenge to build my skill at rowing, the enjoyment of the other people who row, these take me rowing.

I would not like to suggest for one moment that I have attained any nirvana of detachment, or that detachment equates with any ascetic practice. Rather that this is my insight, from my own life, my clinical experience, my own challenges and my successes, and a reflection on the teachings and mission of Baha’u'llah, in the hope that both clinicians, public health workers, and people everywhere will find something here that might change their approach to improving the chronic diseases of the wealthy west in a solution that consist of taking on the greater challenge of lifting the mind and body to more wonderful heights.
 
 
Owen goes rowing on Tinaroo Lake.
 
 
I go hiking in the Illahee Preserve.
 
 
And tomorrow I start yoga, with instructor provided by my company, and right on campus, too,  at a very convenient time, the noon hour. I'll have to give up one of my Illahee hikes to attend the weekly class, but I think it will be worth it. -gw
 
Shoghi Effendi wishes me to acknowledge the receipt of your letter dated Feb. 13th, 1932. He was very glad to know that you have recovered your health and can resume your work as well as services to the Cause. We surely cannot afford seeing the competent servants of the Faith handicapped by their health. They are too few to be spared so easily. ...
 

Posted via email from Baha'i Views

No comments: