Saturday, February 02, 2008

On Being Slimed for the Cause: Visitation by an Internet Presence

"Slimer" from the movie Ghostbusters Uploaded on January 13, 2008 by Great Beyond on flickr, licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.0 Generic

One evening some weeks ago I was slimed. Baha'i Views was visited by an Internet presence whose comment posts are noteworthy for their unusual content, namely, vulgar sexual phrases and, in this instance, mockery of the name of a Central Figure of the Faith.

We played what could be termed a little game for about a half hour. He'd drop his vulgar comment on one or another of my top posts, and I'd delete them. Back and forth we went, until finally he got tired. It takes some effort to post a comment on Blogger because of the spam protection. He came back a day or so later to drop another little note, which I deleted, but that was it. I haven't heard from him since.

Apparently, this guy is famous on the 'net for the way he expresses his opposition to the Baha'i Faith. I'll admit, it was exciting. I actually felt honored to have been visited, as he must have found content on my site worthy of his attention, but I was also keenly aware that there must be some mental health issues involved. I felt sorry for the guy. What kind of person comes to a blog site and spews sexual and religious profanities? I'd been slimed, but there was still something sad about it. -gw

{Bottom photo: "Ghostbusters!" uploaded on May 27, 2006 by multisonic on flickr, licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.0 Generic}

1 comment:

Bonita said...

Heh. Finally a troll has a face.