Tuesday, November 06, 2007

On Looking into FUNDAEC and Ruhi in Columbia: How the Baha'is aren't caught up in making things more complicated than they need to be

Ryan is back from a trip to Columbia. -gw
+
+
During the trip I was able to get to know FUNDAEC and its processes a lot better including the SAT program, its implementation in some of the Baha’i schools in the area, the Centro Universitario para el Bienestar Rural (CUBR), as well as some of the processes of the Baha’i Community of Cali as well as the cluster surrounding Puerto Tejada (where the Ruhi Institute is). I sat-in on some of the classes in the Ruhi-Arbab Baha’i School in Puerto Tejada, observed how they implemented the SAT program there, and was even able to help out with the 6th and 8th grade classes. At the Rural University I was able to sit-in on some classes, as well as get to know some of the professors and students. During one week I travelled to Risaralda which is a department north of the Cauca Valley and was able to participate in a full three-day training on one of the SAT books on polynomials. That was really great because I was able to get to know some of the tutors and discuss the challenges they are facing as well as observe their wholehearted dedication to the vision of the program. Where I was in Risaralda was very nice… the weather was cooler than in Cali and the hills covered in coffee-shrubs/trees are quite pretty to look at. Finally, I was able to observe a few study circles using materials from the Ruhi Institute, participate in an intensive training for youth in the area, as well as observe an evaluation meeting where the Core Team makes a plan for the upcoming cluster reflection meeting.

Overall I was struck by the focus that the Baha’is have and how they aren’t caught up in making things more complicated than they need to be. There are many other things I’ve learned but will have to be saved for conversations with friends rather than posted here. (Much of my learning from the trip has to do with attitudes which are best shared one-on-one rather than a general post). My greatest concern upon leaving Colombia was that I would forget some of the attitudes I was resonating with so I wrote them down in my journal and have kept on reflecting on them while here. I’m clearly very thankful for the opportunity to travel to Colombia and get to know some of the organizations that have had indelible effects on me. The way ahead is not entirely clear but my sense is that the trip has provided me with some useful concepts and attitudes with which to approach upcoming decisions with regards to work and service to humanity.
+
{Re-posted with permission}
+
For more background on FUNDAEC and Ruhi, check out these llinks. -gw
+

No comments: