Tuesday, November 27, 2007

On Visiting with the Mormon Missionaries: My opportunity came to teach

A straightfoward teaching story from from a humble servant of Baha'u'llah. I like how she appreciates the missionaries' poise. -gw

I just got back from shopping to encounter boys in suits and carrying backpacks standing in front of the door of the home across the yard from me. They were talking about Joseph Smith. Oh boy, Mormon missionaries...

I put all my stuff away, and I finished by the time they reached my door. They began by asking if I know about Jesus Christ and His latter mission. I told him how my grandparents are Mormon, my brother is Mormon, and much of my family is Mormon. They then asked if I was raised Mormon. I told them that I was raised Christian, but I decided to leave Christianity, and I joined the Baha'i Faith. They said they had never heard of the Baha'i Faith. So then, I told them about Baha'u'llah and the Bab. I mentioned the things I read from "Thief in the Night," in that the Bab is the return of Jesus, he came in 1844, caused much turmoil in Persia, and he was executed by Muslims. He announced that a greater one would come after him nine years later. That person turns out to be Baha'u'llah. He is the Lord of Hosts and the Holy Father. Baha'is believe he is the manifestation of God for this age. He wrote instructions for people to follow that would create the Kingdom of God on Earth. He sent letters to all the leaders of the world, including the Pope, that would allow the creation of God's kingdom, the elimination of all wars, and world unity. He taught of the elimination of all prejudice, and that there is only one race: the human race, and we should love all people. After saying all this, they expressed satisfaction that I appear to believe in Jesus, they gave me a card for ordering Mormon music, and they bid me farewell.

I seemed to do more talking than them. Their job was to teach others about Joseph Smith, but I ended up teaching them about Baha'u'llah. It's neat how that happened. I read some of the Book of Mormon in preparation for the times when would be faced with the circumstances of teaching them about the Baha'i Faith. I did so because many of my family members are Mormon. My opportunity came in the form of teaching Mormon missionaries. They seemed like they never heard of the Baha'i Faith. I wonder if they will investigate if further, or if I freaked them out with some the shocking things I said. I felt nervous when speaking to them. I haven't had any practice teaching the Baha'i Faith to other people, so naturally I felt nervous. It's amazing that they manage to teach their religion with such poise. They probably get lots of practice doing it. Discussing one's religion with other people unfamiliar with it is pretty nervewracking, and arguments could sometimes happen. I'm glad that this encounter happened peacefully. I now wonder if I talked too much, because they hardly did much speaking, but those guys certainly got to learn something new, today.


{Re-posted with permission}

No comments: