Thursday, November 15, 2007

On Return to Panchgani: The Search for Sureka

Like stories? Boy, does Samuel have a great story to tell. In three parts and with great pictures he tells the story of trying to track down a woman who figured prominently in his life when he was a child in India. -gw

Sureka is the woman who served as a maid for us and the Rushdys before us, and who became a part of both of our families. On the morning my mother and I left, Sureka was the most emotional. Whether she even heard me or not is irrelevant, but the 12-year-old-me told her that I would see her again in six years. I figured that I would be done high school by then and I could return to India to do a Baha’i youth year of service. About seven years later I did do a year of service, but it ended up being in Macau and Thailand. Now here we are eleven years and a university degree later and I happened to land a job one state away from Panchgani.

This weekend, as my camera and are walking down memory lane I will also following Sureka’s trail. At this point all I have is a list of names of people who may be able to locate her via e-mails from the Rushdys that are spread across the globe. I have no phone number, no last name and no clue where she is.

+
+
+
{Re-posted with permission}
+

1 comment:

child_of_africa said...

how precious!! I LOVE these two pictures thus juxtaposed!