Friday, July 27, 2007

On Life After Death and the Progress of the Soul: The Passing of a Young Child


It has been a week since the death of little Hannah through a tragic drowning. The incident has touched the hearts of many, including my wife and me. Many bloggers have posted about Hannah. -gw

Fancy Hannah
17 hours ago by DebMomOf3 No, this post is not about my Hannah. Someone on one of my message boards posted about a family that just lost their 5-year-old daughter in a tragic drowning accident, one week ago. ...
+
Prayers Please
24 Jul 2007 by Andrea: In the midst of all the fun I must take a moment and beg you to offer prayers for the mother (family) of a little girl named Hannah who was lost a few days ago to a drowning. Please remember them and offer your encouragement. ...
+
For Little Hannah
24 Jul 2007 by Monkey Giggles: She is a mommy blogger who lost her sweet little Hannah due to a drowning. I could not even beginning the sorrow this family is feeling. Let's love on this family like Jesus would. ...
+
In Memory of Fancy Hannah
23 Jul 2007 by Kimberly: A fellow blogger, and sister of a girl who posts on a message board with me, has lost her sweet daughter Hannah in a drowning accident. It has just torn me up inside. I cannot imagine losing a child. Please keep Hannah's family in your prayers ...
+
Prayer Needs - The Children of the Blogosphere
23 Jul 2007 by Janne: I was visiting at 5 Minutes for Mom yesterday, when I found out about Hannah, a precious little girl whose life was tragically cut short this week, due to a drowning accident. ...
+
My heart has been touched by a sad and tragic story
22 Jul 2007 by Slackermommy: I have just read the most heartbreaking story of a family who just lost their six year old, Hannah in a drowning accident. My heart simply aches for this family. I do not know them and today was my first time to Hannah's mother's blog. ...
+
I can’t stop crying…
21 Jul 2007 by Janice: A precious little girl named Hannah died on Thursday in a freak drowning accident at the beach. Her mother and her aunt are both bloggers. I have just been reading more about adorable Hannah and her baby sister Lily over at her mom’s ...
+
A prayer for a fellow blogger! Her beautiful niece...
21 Jul 2007 by mAsOn & tErrI's mOm: Her beautiful niece Hannah died thursday morning due to drowning. Please pray for her and her family. Pray to keep the faith strong and for her parents especially to help cope with their loss. I couldn't imagine...
+
I’m at a loss for words
21 Jul 2007 by Admin: Sweet little Hannah was playing in the water at the beach and ended up drowning. I hate to even say it so bluntly. It seems so harsh. Sadly, it’s this family’s reality. One moment they are going through their day like any other and the ...

+
For Little Hannah...
20 Jul 2007 by Annie: This precious little girl is Hannah. She is the daughter of one of my dear blogging friends Rach. On Thursday she passed away in a drowning accident. My heart breaks for Rach and her family. You can visit Rach's blog, read the stories ...


My wife and I received an email from a dear friend who wanted to know, with Hannah in mind, "what exactly Baha'is believe happens to the souls of children who die young." This was part of my response to her. -gw

The articles on Bahai.org are succinct in their overview of the subject of the soul and life after death, although they do not specially cover the subject of the death of a child and the progress of the soul:
+

But here is a passage from Abdu'l-Baha who provides guidance to a mother who has lost her infant:

"Be not grieved at the death of that infant child, for it is placed in trust for thee before thy Lord in His great Kingdom. Verily God will bestow upon thee that whereby thy heart shall be rejoiced and thy breast shall be dilated. Verily thy Lord is compassionate and merciful!"

http://reference.bahai.org/en/t/ab/TAB/tab-239.html

Certainly Hannah is now "placed in trust" for her mother and family and all who love her in God's great Kingdom.

We are encouraged to pray for the progress of the souls of those who have gone before us. Many prayers have been said for Hannah in our household and will continue to be said.


Here is a reference written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi that models the Baha'i response regarding the loss of a child.

"He will pray for the progress and happiness of the soul of your dear daughter in the invisible, spiritual worlds. He feels your attitude in this physical separation from her is exemplary, and is causing her great happiness now."

2 comments:

Jess said...

George, I just now saw this post. Thank you for taking the time to create and post this. You and your wife have been so helpful to our family during this very difficult time.

Rach said...

George,

I'm touched. Thank you for doing this and finding all those connections. Your family has become so precious to me and so extremely helpful and supportive. So again, thank you for everything.

Hugs!