Tuesday, January 16, 2007

On Seals and Crofts: Barry Richman's Tribute

The blogger of Barryland, musician Barry Richman, offers a detailed tribute to the music of Seals and Crofts for his "daily" blog entry. -gw

The lyrics were literate, and often referred to the Baha'i Faith. A line (from East of Ginger Trees) that quoted from their scripture is never far from my mind: "Be lions roaring in the forest of knowledge, whales swimming in the oceans of life." That struck me, because they seemed to be such masters at everything they touched. Listening to them, I wanted to be remarkable. That very song ends with an insistent, simple rhythm that has threaded its way through my own compositions; I use it whenever I want to symbolize God's calling of us to a new place.

barrybrake, "don't fly away," Barryland

No comments: