Tuesday, January 16, 2007

On Neat Lawns and Perfectly Spaced Houses: MT Experiences Culture-Shock

"Bahai'i temple samoa," Uploaded on October 17, 2005 by Pearce81 on flickr

mt830 left Samoa after serving the Baha'i Faith there and visited Auckland, New Zealand, sharing her impressions on her blog. -gw

When I first arrived, I unsurprisingly did a good deal of white-person-staring. There are so few white people in Samoa, I've gotten in the habit of being surprised when I see one, but here there are white people everywhere. As I was driving into the city, I stared at the huge highway, the neat suburban lawns, the perfectly spaced houses. I keep thinking somehow they looked empty. I guess after six months in Samoa, everything looks different.

mt830, "Back to Civilization.....Brrrrr!," LiveJournal

No comments: