Saturday, January 27, 2007

On the Baha'i Faith as a Path: Maeve Finds a Place for Prayer, Free of Clutter

Maeve made a recent trip to Nicaragua to visit Baha'i friends. Another stop along the way. -gw



In college I looked all over to find my place. I took philosophy classes, eastern religion classes, went to church, and mass, and Hillel, joined a fratenity, and a psychology of spirituality class. And all of those were important. Heck, I met a good friend and roommate in the Eastern religion class. But when I finally accepted the Baha’i faith, I found my place. And the thing is, that was just the beginning. The faith was a path I stepped onto. And that path led me all over, and finally to Nicaragua where I felt at home in my friends’ house in San Ramon. It was the first time I lived in the house where the majority of people were Baha’i, which meant small things like respect for prayer. At home it’s almost like I have the pray in secret. I mean, prayer is a deeply personal act anyway, but at home I fear interuption. In Nica, it was understood. That, and the house was simple. Since my friends are only living there a year, they decided to be minimal.... And that was refreshing since I don’t think I’ve ever lived in a place that wasn’t full of clutter. It’s like I attract it, am too attached to the material, and it was nice to be free from it.

Maeve, "The Journey," Peace in Pieces {Re-posted with permission}

Read Maeve's piece"Nicaraguan Reunion" in Baha'is of Cental Jersey. -gw

No comments: