Friday, October 20, 2006

On Pluralism: I can understand why Chuck became a Baha'i





Stella likes the phrase "unity in diversity" and feels it should apply to religious differences, too. -gw

is pluralism against my religion? because, sometimes i just want to be a pluralist. i may not believe in your faith, but i can respect it, can't i? i mean this in the sense of ecumenism really, which is, according to wikipedia: the promotion of unity, co-operation, or improved understanding between different denominations within the same religion, or sometimes between different religions. (the latter is sometimes called macro-ecumenism.)

i have faith as a christian, and i can see it growing. but, i don't see myself... how can i say this, telling people they are wrong. why? i really like the phrase "unity in diversity." yeah, religion is a really touchy topic for that... but can't we respect and perhaps even appreciate our differences? is that against my faith?

i can understand why chuck became a baha'i. simply, he believes that there is really just one religion. i don't know, i am sure it is more complicated than that, but i can understand why he chose that faith.i say once again though: unity in diversity. let's respect and appreciate the differences. life would be so boring without it anyway.

and a thought occurred to me, perhaps i should be versed in other world religions too, but it also occurred to me that i should be versed in my own faith first.

Stella Oh, "Is Pluralism Against My Religion?" Just a Girl

{Re-posted with permission}

1 comment:

Annie said...

Hi George! Thanks for commenting on my blog. It will give me something to "chew" on for a while. ;) I have to say this is a very interesting discussion! :) It was so nice to see you all today. Hopefully we can get together again soon!