Wednesday, August 02, 2006

On Asian-Americans, Ethiopian-Americans, and Persian-Americans: God Must Be Pleased with His Children

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you, and surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."
- matthew 28:19-20


Lucy's sincerity and devotion comes through clearly on her blog, always for the sake of the Gospel. She is headed to Ethiopia from her home in Texas for several weeks of Christian evangelism in the African country. In the post from which the following brief excerpt comes, she describes visiting with co-workers about her trip. -gw

I take this opportunity to tell her that I will be going to Ethiopia in a month. She asks me simply, "What's there?" I tell her about my trip and what I will be doing there. She smiles brightly. In all the times I've talked to her, we've never talked about "religious stuff." She asks me what religions are there. I tell her mainly Ethiopian Orthodox and Islam. She doesn't know what Orthodox is, so I share with her my limited church history knowledge. I discover that she is religious too, which I never knew before.

Right after that, another co-worker joins our conversation. He's interested in what I have to say. He's Persian and tells me that his family has a mix of Christianity, Bahai, and Islam. I ask him about Bahai and what he believes in. He shares with me. I learn a little bit about Bahai today.

loocie, "A Blessed Day of Praise," always for the sake of the Gospel


Rebequa Murphy, from Ethiopia originally, teaches a South African song to Baha'is gathered at a conference in Nashville in 2003 - news.bahai.org

Asian American Lucy goes to Ethiopia to teach Christianity. Ethiopian Rebequa comes to America and teaches the Baha'i Faith. The Baha'i Faith was originally introduced to America by Persians like Lucy's co-worker a few cubicles away. God must be pleased with His children. -gw

2 comments:

Emily said...

Rebequa is an amazing woman! I had the pleasure of meeting her a few years ago and her bright spirit lights up an entire room.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your kind and encouraging words. May God bless you in every way! Keep up the insightful entries and thoughts. Have a great day!