Tuesday, July 04, 2006

On the 4th of July: Enjoying Fireworks with the Baha'is

It's the 4th of July and I hear the fireworks down on the waterfront and firecrackers going off all over the neighborhood. Of course, in the Eastern time zone the fireworks took place three hours earlier. Here is a post-fireworks 4th of July blog entry from Zephan on MySpace from back East somewhere.
One of Zephan's MySpace pics

Anyway, I went to a 4th of July party in Hillard with a long time friend of mine. It was at a Baha'i woman's house. I haven't seen her in about 10-12 years, so that was nice. Her husband isn't a Baha'i, but her step daughter has been to a few holy day observances. The fireworks were practically right in the backyard, so we got a great view. I haven't seen fireworks in about 4 years, and this was the first year I felt I could watch them in a long time. When we got to the basic area, and because of construction, we ended up parking in the housing division next to theirs and walking. We got kinda lost however, and it was pouring down rain. We found our way there, and thankfully the rain cleared up in time for fireworks. There was a couple from Venezuela, so I got to use a little bit of Spanish. There were also quite a few Persian Bahai's there too. The party wasn't a Baha'i party, but there were quite a few there. One of the people at that party turned out to be a Baha'i from of all places, Baghdad, Iraq. He was married to the sister of the hostess's husband. An interesting situation. I got to practice some Arabic, and we actually got to sit down and discuss places in Baghdad that I've visited, and he grew up in. It was a pretty nice evening.

Zephan, "4th of July," MySpace

No comments: