Friday, June 09, 2006

On Spiritual Discovery: Islam and the Baha'i Faith

How is this for an intriguing name for a blog: A Muslim, a Baha'i, what am I? Here is "A Muslim, a Baha'i, what am I?: Part 3 ":

in 2003 I believed that Islam was the only path for me and nothing in the world would be able to convince me that anything else was the Truth. However, my interpretation of Islam was like my personality. Very eclectic, disorganized, sometimes impatient, but loveable and compassionate in the long run. I didn't start praying regular until months after my conversion, and many of my feelings toward Islam were clouded by Humanism. That is what I think best describes my previous beliefs before Islam. I was an athiest wavering towards agnosticism, and back and forth for the last half of high-school. So, I created a self-image of Islam that most of the Muslim family does not believe in. And I tried to impose that self-image onto Islam. I did not think of the possibility that perhaps I was re-inventing myself, rather than taking on a religion. In my mind, this was Islam.

I am not implying that Islam was just a tool for me to re-invent myself, but I don't doubt that it had something to do with it. The human psyche is very complex, and people have done stranger things than converting to Islam to re-invent themselves.I find many interesting parallels in the Baha'i experience, as well. Since I had been so inspired by "Progressive" Islam, I happened to stumble upon another religion which does teach these principles that I originally had as a re-invented Muslim, and before that a Humanist. The bottom line behind all of this, though, is the Humanism. This has been the foundation for all of my religious beliefs. The belief that human nature is essentially good, and human kind has the responsibility to take care of the world and eachother. This has always been my take on Faith. This is my Salvation.

If someone asked me why am I a Baha'i, and why am I a Muslim; I couldn't answer it. I still don't know to this day why God has carried me through these strange cuts and corners. I could have just gone the easy way out and joined my brother's Church, and become a born again Christian. He works there as a choir director, and I would feel at home next to my brother. But instead I went to the Mosque where most of the Sermons were in Arabic and I had to follow along through a translation, learn a different Scripture, believe in a different Prophet, and try to follow that. I don't know, and that is ok. I don't need to know the reason at this juncture in life. I love my life, I love God, I love my beautiful friends, and I love myself. I love who I am as a human being on this earth who has the opportunity and potential to make this world a better place. I'm happy with my life.

Muslim-Bahai-Rocker? "A Muslim, a Baha'i, what am I?: Part 3 ," A Muslim, a Baha'i, what am I?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

George, thank you so much for quoting from and providing a link to this absolutely fascinating blog. I find the story of Matt's spiritual journeyings, so honestly told, quite riveting.