Tuesday, April 18, 2006

On Investigating the Baha'i Faith: Further Update from Jess

Photo: Ella on right with cousin and uncle
Jess continues to write remarkably and openly about her experience of studying the Baha'i Faith. Growing up in the country, she had what my wife likes to call "good home training." She has a strong family, the members of which are very supportive and loving to one another. The family values are strongly rooted in Christianity. Naturally, there are many emotions that can accompany investigation of the Faith by the sincere seeker, as these excerpts from Jess' blog Rambles, Reviews and Rants clearly demonstrate.

Sunday, April 16, 2006 -- "Easter"

Photo: Jess' neices and brother-in-law
I was really fortunate this year that my mother and my sister and her little family could come visit with my family for the Easter holiday. We had good intentions of going to church but we realized Saturday morning when we were trying to get all three girls and ourselves ready and at the photo studio by 10 a.m. for pictures (my mom's Mother's Day gift is a pic of all 5 of her girls) that getting to church by 9:30 in a town 40 minutes away would be a stretch. Then, all the children would have to be checked into childcare and our car would have to be valet parked because my church has limited parking. Then the adults would have to be bussed to the site where the Easter service was to be held- under a large tent away on property owned by the church that would fit 2,000 folks instead of the smaller sanctuary that only seats a fraction of that amount. I wasn't sure how the daycare location vs. the tent would work out. Anyway, this short story is getting long... I guess I am trying to make excuses for feeling guilty for missing church on the biggest day of the Christian year.
Photo: Ella in her Easter dress
And to make matters worse, I sort of feel like an adulterous Christian. I am cheating on the faith of my childhood by actively pursuing another. At least Baha'is accept that everyone is worshipping the same God, so no matter what a practitioner of that faith does or does not do on a holy day of another faith it would probably be acceptable as long as they behaved respectably. Oh my. I am just feeling guilty, guilty guilty. Well, guilty or not, I didn't go to church today and I have plans to attend a Baha'i meeting on Thursday. I guess that just says it all right there.

On a lighter note, here are a couple pics from today of my daughter and me in our Easter finery. We got dressed up for dinner even if we didn't make it to church!

Ella and me:
Monday, April 17, 2006

I have been feeling muddled, worried and guilty over this Easter holiday. I have not been sure if my emotions stem from nostalgia or because I am finally admitting to myself after years of secret doubt that Christianity's dogma is not what I truly believe. I wonder if people who leave other religions feel as awful about it as I do? Surely they must. It feels like I am losing a best friend, someone that I know so well and have been able to trust and depend upon. Or for another analogy (probably a poor one), it is like I am breaking up with my high school boyfriend and I am on the search for my life mate. I think I am falling in love and this could be the one but I am so afraid that I am wrong and I am going to get hurt. I guess I have to keep on dating Baha'i to find out! Does that sound really silly?!

2 comments:

Jess said...

*I posted this over at my blog, but I thought I would repost it here!

Thank you for all those links on my blog George. I read through each of them and I learned quite a lot.

Baha'is believe that Jesus was not God, but a prophet who had God's spirit dwelling within Him, correct? So while they do accept Jesus as the Messiah they don't accept a lot of the Christian doctrine including belief in the Trinity, right?

Also, if Jesus is the Son of God and Baha'u'llah is the Father, what are Muhammad, Buddha, Moses, etc. Do they all have titles as well?

As I read I find that it makes sense to me but there is certainly a lot to sift through and synthesize once I stop reading. It isn't that the Baha'i teachings are too complex to process but that they are taking all things I know from Christianity and shifting the interpretation a bit. Does that make sense?

When I said in my blog that I am feeling guilty and sad, I feel that way because I will miss the traditions of Christianity. And it is quite a shift to demote Jesus from being God to being a Divine Manifestation in which God resided. Do you see what I mean?

Thank you George and Bonita- you are both very helpful and encouraging!

Rach said...

As always, George, you have posted the best! Jessie's journey is amazing, and I find myself more and more intrigued as she explores more deeply. I find, from what Jessie has shared, that Baha'i is a very peaceful faith, and as a peace loving person, it's seductive (but not in the negative connotation of the word). I'm tagging along on Jessie's coat tails as it were, as she moves along the path towards enlightenment/discovery.