Tuesday, April 25, 2006

On Interfaith Dialogue: The Baha'i Faith and Laura Shulman

Photo: Laura Schulman

"I began by telling them how I became interested in the Baha'i faith many years ago in a comparative religions course at the local community college," Jess writes in her current post "Baha'i Encounter."

"Is there any chance you learned about the Baha'i Faith at NVCC with Laura Shulman??" Julia writes in a comment to the Jess' post.

Who's Laura Shulman? She is not a Baha'i, but she writes very passionately about her love for the academic study of religions including the Baha'i Faith on various links to her website "Welcome to the home page of Laura Ellen Shulman, Instructor in Religion."

What I value most about the academic teaching of religion is the process of helping people to better appreciate the values and possibilities found in religions other than their own, giving people the intellectual and attitudinal tools needed to improve relationships with people of diverse cultures, encouraging people to explore religious world views in greater depth, and expanding their own personal horizons and understanding of religion and a deeper aspect of life. I tell my students that the most important thing they can learn in my classes is tolerance, respect and appreciation for beliefs and opinions that might differ from their own. I am excited about the subject I teach and I try to teach in such as way as to excite my students about it as well... [Read more]

Laura has prepared a PowerPoint presentation on the Baha'i Faith that is available for viewing here.

No comments: